Learn how to work broomstick lace and make this beautiful Sweet Lace Blanket. Lace crochet afghan patterns like this one may take some time to work up but you will love to display it for all to see. You can choose to add fringe around the edges or leave it without. My husband received one as a child, in his favorite sports team colors, and still has it today. Great family gifts to enjoy for years!
- You may use the finished items for personal and commercial use.
- You must use your own photos as a representation of your work.
- You may not use the photo(s) shown.
- Do not resell, share or redistribute the pattern.
How to Read this Pattern:
1. When a number is before the command, such as 3hdc, you will work in the SAME stitch.
2. When a number is AFTER the command, such as hdc3, you will work that command in the number of FOLLOWING stitches.
3. The number in parenthesis () at the end of the round is the TOTAL number of stitches for that round.
What you need:
Crochet hook size h-5mm
Broom Stick or cut dowel rod with same thickness
3 skeins of same yarn (red heart medium 4 weight)
How to Work Broomstick Lace
Row 1 (right side): Holding needle in left hand, place last
loop of last chain on needle. Working backward (left to
right) into foundation chain,
*insert hook in next chain, yarn over, pull loop through and place on needle; repeat from *
across – 20 loops on needle.
Row 2: Insert hook in center of first 5 loops,
holding loops together as one, ch 1, 5 sc in same set of 5 loops, sliding
loops off needle,
*insert hook in next set of 5 loops and work 5 sc; repeat from * across – 4 groups of 5 sc.
Row 3: Pull up last loop and place on needle. Working tbl (the back loop)
ONLY, pull up a loop in each sc across – 20 loops.
Repeat Rows 2 and 3 for lace pattern, ending with row 2 of
With crochet hook, ch 125.
Row 1: Following row 1 of how to work Broomstick Lace
instructions above, place 125 loops on broom stick.
Rows 2-61: Repeat Rows 2 & 3, 30 times – 25 groups of 5
sc each; 125 loops.
Row 62: Repeat row 2. Do not fasten off.
Top Edging and bottom edging
Row: Sc across the row (125 sts).
Rows2-4: Turn, ch1, sc in each stitch.
Cut 3 strips of 6” yarn and pull the center through every 8-10 stitches (or more if you want more ‘fringe’) then loop the ends through the center loop.
Trim to desired length.